Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cello Breakthrough!

I am happy to report after picking up the cello a year ago, and devoting hard practice, time and energy I have reached a breakthrough. I have just played Bach's prelude in G major, from start to finish. Mind you this professional piece is being played all over the world, with critical fame from since it was written. I started being barely able to play one measure, and now a year later I can play the entire piece. 

For an example of this song being played by Rostropovich, one of the best players of all time, click here

Slow and steady wins the race. Also having a clear goal helps a ton. I knew I wanted to play this song the second I heard it, the arpegiations are exquisite. I couldn't have kept on without creating these goals for myself, and to any aspiring musician picking up a new instrument like I was, start with what you really WANT to learn, I don't care if you don't think your good enough, and the fact is your not... YET. But bit by bit you'll carve away at the piece and you'll end up with so much more than if you had just done exercises.

While I was studying under a Cello Teacher, I noticed we we're focusing on primarily excercises, in fact during the two years I spent at UCSC the "bulk" of what I learned in the music department consisted of various excercises. 

When I left my Cello teacher I had the bare fundamentals necessary to grow my talent, basic bowing technique and scale fingering. But what kept me going was the fact I was working on an actual Song, and I knew the rewards would be great once I mastered the suite I prelude. 

Now I want to master all of the suites! 

----

Thanks for reading
Thanks for supporting my cello habit!



1 comment:

ratkiller89 said...

You have made quite a breakthrough! Very important to play the music you love. M